Friday, March 15, 2013


NOTE: The Link has been updated.

  Doesn't the shawl look pretty all bunched together and ruffled up? It looks pretty stretched out, too. But for the moment, that difficult to do. 552 stitches fit better on the needle than 732 (and knit up faster too!) but it's still not possible to stretch out the edge very much. In another dozen rows, it will be easier. With every row, for that matter it will be easier!

The edging is almost done—just 3 more rows (the beading) and I'll be ready to start the body of the shawl. Then it will be 4 decreases, every other row. If I start with about half the stitch count (240) and and half the decreases, (2) and simplify 2 decreases every other row, to 1 per row.. 240 rows from now I'll be done!

Normally, I get about 8 rows to an inch—but with lace (and a much larger needle!) I'll easily get 10 rows to an inch—240/10=24 inches (a nice deep shawl) Blocking it will easily add another 12 inches. So I can expect a 36 inch deep shawl! It's going to be a big shawl—a real shawl, not a little shawlette/shaped scarf. I've planned on using 3 skeins—but just to be sure, I have 2 more—In case they are needed. If I don't need them—the extra skeins will become a pair of socks!

I still haven't settled on a pattern--stitch pattern that is.   The shape is a modified triangle. There will be a center back panel (60 stitches) that will slowly be decreased till there are half that number, plus 2 triangular wedges either side of the center back panel—sort of like a Shetland shawl shape. I am thinking of one pattern for the center back, and other pattern for the 2 triangular wedges. My groups of stitches have lots of factors—so I have lots of choices!
Last night on Ravelry, some one asked about an other—new to me-- cast on (they wanted a matching bind off.) So I played with the cast on—and with the selvage some one suggested. --OOPs--I miss read the post.. It was for a matching bind off--which I didn't try.  (Maybe I'll make a swatch later or tomorrow) 

I also  made a video of the cast on--since I know sometimes, it's easier to learn visually--and so you can see what the cast on edge looks like.   You can also get an idea form the images of the swatches.

The first one is  with stocking knit immediately after the cast on, and the second one with seed stitch (I didn't do a ribbed swatch, but the results would be similar to the seed)
On the second (seed stitch swatch) I tried 2 different selvage stitches.(see OOPs)

The left side is the selvage suggested on the Ravelry thread. (see the big Opp's above!) 

The right side is another selvage stitch—which is a slightly better match . This selvage stitch is a basic YO, K2tog, every row.  (There is a much better image of the cast on edge, and selvage on the video).

I am not enamored with this cast on. Well,  not as a general cast on. It it could work for socks—It is rather stretchy, and it does look nicer when stretched out. And it does looks better if you follow the cast on edge with any knit and purl combo—be it ribbing or seed stitch.--It is very similar to the TilyBuddy cast on--which is also a pretty cast on, and one that looks especially good with either 1 X 1 ribbing or 2 X 2 ribbing. Since this cast on is so similar, I suspect, it too would look good with either 1 X 1 or 2 X 2 ribbing.

I am always interested in stretchy, attractive cast ons for socks—this one might work for that. It might also for a baby blanket. But since the cast on edge wants to draw in (and this is why it looks good with ribbing or seed stitch) I don't think it would really be a good choice for blanket--unless you began or ended the blanket with ribbing.   It might work for other baby items—a hat say.

And of course, this video of cast on has been added to the collection of cast ons known to me on my web page—so you can always find it again easily.  If you haven't visited my web page recently, do stop by.  There are new cast ons and new videos. (and lots of little details edited to make it easier to read).

No comments: