Tuesday, April 03, 2018

At the 11th Hour,



Image of buttons on skirt
Of the last day of March, I sewed on the last button—and now the claret skirt is done, too. So March ends with a new shirt dress, and 2 new skirts. About half the things I cut in the beginning the month, sewn up! Well not really half the things, but the vests are so much less work than the dress, it really is about half the work.

I added a small coin pocket to the claret skirt—It's big enough to hold a charge card (or membership card, or drivers licence, or the like) Just a little detail/change to the basic pattern. As are the inset side seam pockets—but then I always add side seam pockets, and they hardly count.

waist band coin pocket
It has started off, the first 3 days, as an unseasonable April, and I have started to work on the deep purple—a matching skirt and vest. First thing I did was to cut the lining for the vest –Everything else had been cut—and I got a head start by ironing the interfacing onto the skirt waist band, and filling to bobbins, on Saturday.

Since then, all the edges have been finished, and the skirt assembled. Right now, all that remains to be done is the waist band and hem.

 The vest(s) , even though they are fully lined (or perhap, because they are fully lined) work up quickly. The neat little pockets will take the most time, and I have been adding them to so many vest, even they have gotten to be quick work.

print and color dots
I am sorry now that I didn't buy more of the lining fabric—the more I see and work with it, the more I like it. I might make a run to fabric store and see if there is any more. The print goes great with the purple—but there isn't any purple in the print. Its made of dark navy, bright pink, light blue (a sort of periwinkle blue) and medium turquoise. It would make a great top—to go with the purple skirt and vest set, and with the last month's pink skirt, and with all the different bits of turquoise in my wardrobe.  It would go well with my blue skirt and vest too (also from last year).

After the purple set is sewn up, next will be the grey vest, and finally the print vest. Then all the the things I cut back in the beginng of March will have been sewn up. I expect to have all 3 vests finished up before the end of April.
Print liner and 3 go with solids

The next “big cut up”, which (likely) won't be till sometimes in May, will include a triple set of black set. Starting with a black coat dress. The same basic uniform coat dress, this time trimmed with red piping--on the sleeves, on the front, on the yoke and collar. The inside of the yoke will be lined in red cotton, and there will be red lined kick pleats on the side seam, little flashes of red every where. The same basic coat dress, just a yards and yards of red piping to add a different detail--making it the same, but different.  I thought about cutting miles of bias, and making my own red piping—but in the end, I bought ready made piping.

The other 2 pieces of the set, just a simple remake of a skirt and vest set that are the other "uniform" pieces. . I think the skirt in this set will be a remake of the claret skirt (ie: a button down the front gored skirt)—just because, well because I have quite a number of the 6 gore version. Likely the vest will have a red lining-the same red used for the dress. I might even change the skirt to add a red facing to the front of the skirt (instead of the self facing the pattern calls for. Another use of the red lining. 

I also plan to cut the prussian blue fabric cut—another skirt—and a favorite color. And maybe a navy (in more ways than one!) version of the coat dress—That would be 2 more dresses, 2 more skirts, and a vest—for a total of 3 dresses, 5 skirts, and 4 vests, this spring. Lots of new pieces, and lots of new colors added to my wardrobe.  This is a bit more of counting my chickens before they are hatched, but....

All this will make a small dent in my fabric stash, and a big boost to wardrobe. It leaves a piece of yellow, for a skirt and matching vest in the same yellow (as this years shirt dress) There is also a coordinating piece of plaid (yellow/red/blue/white) to be worked on later(an other vest) - And mounds of denim, and piece of yellow twill for a jumper, and some pieces of linen/rayon (purple, blue and teal) and the striped fabric I used for the girls dresses last year, and a piece of putty twill, and, and, and....

And if I do find more of the pretty lining fabric, well a top to be made!



Post a Comment